When The Pioneer Woman awarded 14 of my mini portraits to contest winners on her site, I knew I was going to have to be organized about their production. Here’s how it went.
I started by taping up four pieces of Yupo because I’d decided to do four paintings at a time. I kept dragging my sleeve through paint when I worked on the top row but didn’t learn my lesson.
I drew the main shapes of the subject on each piece. Then I applied masking fluid to the areas that should remain white. (You paint over the mask and then when the paint’s dry, peel it off.)
After the masking fluid is dry, I usually start by painting the background first; I spritz some rubbing alcohol on it to give it that funky texture.
There is a lot of waiting around with watercolor. I wait until one part is dry before I paint next to it.
Then I waited some more.
And painted the eyes and stuff.
One of the photos was of a cat looking through a screen, so I had this idea that I would put a piece of tulle over the painting and paint over the top. When it was dry, I pulled it off and you could actually see the pattern and it actually looked like a screen door.
I repeated the whole process twice, for a total of eight mini cat portraits so far.