I’m a list maker. I make lists. I make lists in my head, in the car, in the shower, while I’m trying to go to sleep. Lots of lists.
It occurred to me that maybe I should use this list-making compulsion for good, rather than for the evil that is keeping me up at night making lists in my head. So here is the first in what may be series of lists, or what is just as likely to be a one-time thing that I tried and got bored of.
The inspiration for today’s list came as I was driving to or from work today, I really can’t remember. It’s all just driving and I seem to do a lot of it. Clearly, I don’t know whether I’m coming or going.
I don’t have a terrible commute, but I do know what a terrible commute looks like. I worked in Portland for seven years and commuted to various apartment locations on the west side which is to say, ON THE SUNSET HIGHWAY. If there are any Portlanders reading, they’ll feel me.
Now however, I commute about 20 miles each way but it is darn boring. I may have mentioned before that my iPod is my life? Well, it is. It has my entire music collection, as well as a growing stable of podcasts that I listen to when I just can’t decide what music to listen to.
An aside: my husband and I have such different taste in music that he actually bought a separate laptop to house his iTunes so my music would not touch his music. True story.
So – podcasts. Here are my favorites, so far.
- The Splendid Table. How does Lynn Rosetto Caspar know so much about everything? She’s like the auntie everyone wants to have teach them to cook.
- Friday Night Comedy From BBC Radio 4. If you love British comedies like I do, you will recognize some of the same personalities on this radio show (Dr. Crispin from My Hero, specifically). I don’t get all the jokes, but I don’t care.
- Lime.com Meditation Room. I don’t meditate often; I don’t even sit still for long. But I would like to be the kind of person that does. This video podcast offers several meditation rooms in different themes, complete with relaxing music and accompanying imagery.
- Martha Stewart. Want to learn how to make perfect snickerdoodles? This is the place.
- NPR: Fresh Air With Terry Gross. I love the fact that when I first saw a photo of Terry Gross, it perfectly matched the image I had in my head.
- NPR: Wait, Wait Don’t Tell Me. A fun quiz show about the news. Yes, I said “fun” and “news” in the same sentence. Trust me.
- The Adam Carolla Podcast. He’s a complainer. I’m a complainer. What’s not to love?
- The Moth. The best 5-minute stories you will ever hear. Honestly.
- This American Life. You can’t make this stuff up.
- 92nd Street Y. I found this podcast when I was searching for anything with Anthony Bourdain in it, but oh my there are so many more topics, it’s crazy. Food, business, arts, fitness. Great stuff.
I also download about 15 other podcasts to have on hand to pacify the kids, among them, Car Talk and Radio Disney. I download all my podcasts – for free – from iTunes, and I’m always discovering new ones.
Do you have any favorites I should be adding to my playlist?